Friday, April 18, 2008

Earth Day 2008

So I know this post has nothing to do with free speech but it does have to do with responsibility. And this is my space to talk about what is important to me - so that is free speech right? Well, for those of you who don't know (I didn't until I just looked it up) Earth Day 2008 is April 22. I honestly have never done anything for earth day before and since everyone is jumping on this eco-friendly trend lately I thought this might be important. I do not consider myself to be an enviormentalist but I do what I can to "be green." I realize that climate change is a serious problem in our world I really truly want to be a part of the positive change we are making. But I sometimes get really discouraged. As a college student I am sure you all know this feeling, it can be really hard to but the local, organic, "green" products because they are often more expensive. I also get discouraged because I think about how little of an impact I can really have on something so huge as climate change. In researching this I have found a lot of how to sites on being more environmentally friendly but I find that a lot of these tips do not really apply to me. Do you guys have a tips that you can think of that help you with this? Also do you know of any place to buy local, organic or just more enviornmentally friendly products on a college budget? Any of your tips will help thanks!!! Also what if anything are you planning on particpating in for earth day? I was sparked to write this blog based on a show I saw the other night on the national geographic channel called the human footprint. I don't know how often they will be reshowing it but if you can catch it is an amazing show about the amount of products an American goes through in their life time - and it is only a hour! If you don't have an hour then check out this video - it's hilarious!

5 comments:

missblogalot said...

My only advice is to take a look at packaging when you buy items - stay away from styrofoam and if you do buy water in a plastic bottle, refill it and use it a few times and then be sure to recycle it rather than put it in the garbage. I recently bought a Brita water jug so that I can filter tap water myself and just refill several water bottles for my family - it is actually a lot less expensive than buying the bottles and better for the environment. I think that if you just put some thought into your everyday choices, you will find that you can be more green - or at least not do things that are harmful.

blogdog said...

The best hting we can do for hte earth as humans is limit ourselves by choice and not catastrophe, famine, and unfettered killing of species.
Now there is a happy earthday thought! Happy day Earth

cheesehead42 said...

p

cheesehead42 said...

I watch the History channel and Discovery often, and yesterday on Earth Day, I turned into the Histroy Channel and noticed a rather odd programing choice. It was a show about lumberjacks!! The show covered these men, while they are distroying the forrest. How ironic is that? Any way thats all. I liked that video too by the way.

HIPPIEGURL said...

Well, if you are trying to be enviornmentally friendly, these are somethings that work for me. I try to get everything I can at farmer's market. There are several throughout the week, but my favorite is thursday's at MPC from 3:00-7:00. You can get eggs, honey, produce, bread, desserts, flowers, nuts, plants, fish, and other random items that I find to be pretty cheap. Also, all of the produce at farmers market is either organic or pesticide free! Trader Joes is a great place to get groceries too, because all of their products are cruelty free and many are organic, and I always spend less there then shopping at any other grocery store. This week my groceries were only $90, FOR THREE! I think that is really good. Seventh generation products are great, I am not sure if you have tried them, but they make soap, detergent, recycled paper towels and tp, and other cleaning products that are sustainable and enviornmentally friendly. They are not too expensive either. I also like Mrs. Meyers and Method. Anyway, I hope that helps a little.